Mary Jane O'Neill was the third of twelve children of Patrick O'Neill & Elizabeth Lulham. She born on 28 Feb 1860 in Brookfield where Patrick ran an inn, though he was struggling with that business at the time.

John Francis Moylan was born on 11 Feb 1862 (record 9166) to John Moylan & Ellen Grant. John first married Mary A Foley in 1881 at West Maitland. They had a son, Stephen Lott Moylan, at West Maitland, in 1885 (record 24833). Mary died that same year (record 11599), possibly as a result of complications from childbirth. Stephen married Ethel Swan at West Maitland in 1916. They had at least one child, a daughter, Mary L Moylan, born at West Maitland in 1917 (record 48553). Stephen died at West Maitland in 1935 (record 10511).

John then married Mary Jane O'Neill on 10 Jan 1887 at West Maitland. John and Mary ran the Carrington Hotel, West Maitland, until 1901 when they moved to Gundy, about 20km north-east of Scone. Mary was clearly an energetic member of the community, a fact mentioned in several newspaper reports of their farewell from Maitland and also later from Gubdy, as well as from scores of reports of fetes and sporting events that she supported.

Firstly, from The Maitland Daily Mercury on Tue 21 May 1901:

Presentation to Mr. and Mrs. Moylan

It will be recollected that when Mr. and Mrs. J. F. Moylan, the popular host and hostess of the Carrington Hotel, West Maitland, left the district a few weeks ago for Gundy, where they have established themselves in a similar line of business, a movement was initiated among their many friends to present them with a testimonial as an acknowledgement of the esteem and respect with which they were held. The movement was taken up with enthusiasm and carried to a successful issue. Last night about a hundred ladies and gentlemen met Mr. and Mrs. Moylan, by invitation at the Masonic Hall, when Mrs. Moylan was presented with a handsome gold bangle of chaste design, set with diamonds and sapphires and Mr. Moylan with a purse of sovereigns. The bangle which was obtained from the establishment of Mr. John Hart, bore the following inscription – “Presented to Mrs. J. F. Moylan by her Maitland friends.” The chair was occupied by Mr. Michael Murray, J.P.. Apologies were tendered for inability to be present from the Very Rev. Dr. Hand, and Father McAuliffe, Captain Nicholson, Mr. and Mrs. W. B. Sullivan, Mr. and Mrs. W. Howell, Mr. and Mrs. J. Croyle, Messrs. G. Snape, W. H. Kelly, and Frank Herrmann.

The Chairman assured them that it afforded him very great pleasure to preside on an occasion such as that, called for the purpose of making a presentation to Mr. and Mrs. Moylan, two highly respected residents, on the occasion of their leaving the town. He referred to the success which Mr. Moylan had achieved in business so early in life, and regretted they were losing such a worthy citizen. Mrs. Moylan, they all knew, had always been foremost in all charitable and philanthropic movements for the good of the town and district. The departure of two such worthy citizens was, in his opinion, a distinct loss to the town, but they could console themselves with the reflection that what was Maitland's loss was Gundy's gain.

Mr. Buman then contributed a much appreciated cornet solo, and Mr. W. Chandler gave a finished rendering, of “For Ever and Aye.”

Mr. John Gillies, M.L.A., said it afforded him very great pleasure to be present to make the presentations to his friends Mr. and Mrs. Moylan. He agreed with the remarks that had fallen from the Chairman to the effect that by the departure of Mr. and Mrs. Moylan, Maitland was losing two of its best citizens. He trusted that they would have a prosperous career at Grundy where he understood that Mr. Moylan was not only a hotel-keeper, but also ran a blacksmith's shop, a bakery, a bootshop, a grocery and drapery business. He was in fact a sort of universal provider in Gundy. He trusted ho would go on progressing until he became the Anthony Hordern of the north. They all know that Mrs. Moylan had been for years the leading spirit in all charitable and benevolent movements, that she was ever ready to lend a helping hand when assistance was required and that her efforts in that direction were not confined to class or creed. She had at various times assisted to make bazaars and socials in aid of the Maitland Hospital, the Pierce Memorial Nurses' Home and the Maitland Benevolent Society, the successes they had been. In fact he considered that Mrs. Moylan’s place in Maitland would be difficult to fill. In conclusion, he said he had much pleasure in presenting Mrs. Moylan with a gold bangle from her Maitland friends and Mr. Moylan with a purse of sovereigns.

Mr. A. A. Wall spoke of the high character borne by Mr. and Mrs. Moylan and wished them success and prosperity in their now home.

Mr. Moylan said he could hardly find words with which to thank his Maitland friends for their presents to his wife and himself. They had not gone so far away that they could not come back again as he looked upon Maitland as his home.

Mrs. Moylan also thanked her friends for the handsome present they had made her, which she assured them she valued very much.

Mr. Tapp contributed “I won't go out with Riley any More;” Mr. W. Scobie “By the Waters;” Mr. Alfred Pender, “How McDougall topped the score” and “A trip to Port Stephens;” and Mr. B. Phillips “Give me your answer to-night.” Before dispersing the company sang “Auld Lang Syne.” Mr. Royal acted as accompanist throughout.

Before the meeting opened Mrs. Moylan was presented with a beautifully bound copy of “A Manual of Catholic Piety” by Mrs. Herrman, Misses C. M. Herrman, A. Manery, and M. Purcell, ladies who had assisted her in conducting stalls at various bazaars held in the town.

After some twenty years in business in Gundy the couple retired to Scone; from The Scone Advocate Tue 13 Jun 1922:

GUNDY.

PRESENTATION TO MR. AND MRS. J. F. MOYLAN.

There was on Saturday afternoon last, a goodly gathering of Gundy, Upper Hunter, and Scone folk, in the Federal Hall, on the occasion of the public tribute paid to Mr. and Mrs. J. F. Moylan, who are taking their departure from Gundy, after a residence of some twenty years. Mr. J. Riley occupied the chair, and the Shire President (Cr. H. L. White) made the presentations. On behalf of the subscribers, Mr. White handed Mr. Moylan a gold watch, suitably engraved, and Mrs. Moylan a silver entree dish, and in doing so, spoke in eulogistic terms of the recipients as worthy, useful, and public-spirited citizens, whom they were all very sorry to lose. Mr. White's remarks were endorsed and supplemented by a few each from the Rev. Father Kilgallin and Messrs. F. W. Tilse and R. A. Wilson (Scone), and Messrs. W. N. Campbell, J: J. McLoughlin, F. Wilder, and M. Lawrence, who spoke in appreciative terms of Mr. and Mrs. Moylan’s worth both as citizens and friends, and of the manner in which they had conducted the business of the local hotel during their residence of twenty years. Mr. Moylan, on behalf of Mrs. Moylan as well as himself, warmly thanked the donors for their handsome gifts, and those who had spoken, and others present for their appreciative remarks and ex pressions of goodwill.
We understand it is Mr. arid Mrs. Moylan's intention to take up their residence in Scone.