Mary Maud

James Walsh (1859-1932),
Mary Maud McNamara (1860-1948)

Jump down to the list of their children

Mary Maud McNamara was the youngest of the three children of Francis McNamara & Ellen Cecily O’Neill. She was born on 11 Nov 1860 in Mount Rivers, in the Paterson River district north of Maitland.

The newspaper reports on this page are from the Dungog Chronicle: Durham and Gloucester Advertiser unless otherwise indicated.

Mary Maud McNamara married James Walsh on 21 Sep 1889 at Brookfield near Clarence Town. Mary had become a teacher, as described in The Maitland Mercury and Hunter River General Advertiser on Tue 24 Sep 1889:

Matrimonial. Miss McNamara, late Public school mistress, and second daughter of Mr. Frank McNamara, of Mount Rivers, was joined in the holy bonds at Maitland last week with Mr. J. Wash of Brookfield, Williams’ River. We wish them all happiness.
Sept. 21, 1889.

James was born in Brookfield in 1859 and farmed all his life at Monaleen, Brookfield. His expertise in growing corn was especially noted. This item appeared on Fri 17 Sep 1926, is indicative of this


So impressed were the exports of the Department of Agriculture with the samples of corn grown by Mr. James Walsh, of Brookfield, exhibited at the Royal Show, that an officer was sent up to interview Mr. Walsh regarding corn growing.

James died on 19 Sep 1932 from “heart failure following a sulky accident” (Coroner’s Report, 1928-1933). A report on his death appeared on Tue 20 Sep 1932:

Mr. James Walsh.

Residents of Dungog and district received a sad shock on Monday morning when it became known that Mr. James Walsh, of Brookfield, had died as a result of an accident.

He was driving down to the farm about 9.30 a.m., when the sulky overturned and he fell out. An employee ran to the house for help, and his son, Clem, went down in the car and brought his father home. Mr. Walsh got out and walked inside. He appeared to be all right. However, he fainted shortly afterwards and it was decided to send for medical aid. Before the Doctor arrived he passed away. It was less than fifteen minutes between the time of his collapse and death.

Deceased was one of the best known residents in Dungog district. During his long life of 73 years, he took a prominent part in all movements for the advancement of this district. He was a prominent member of the Catholic Church, a worker for the primary producers, an enthusiastic exhibitor at shows and a keen supporter of all sports, particularly racing.

A sorrowing widow, four sons and four daughters survive.

The funeral will leave Brookfield church at 3 p.m. to-day (Tuesday), for Dungog cemetery.

Further reference will be made in next issue.

This obituary appeared on Fri 23 Sep 1932:

Large Funeral.

The funeral of the late James Walsh left the Catholic Church at Brookfield on Tuesday afternoon and proceeded to the cemetery at Dungog. It was one of the largest funerals seen for very many years. Sympathisers were present from all the surrounding districts and a fitting tribute was paid to a worthy resident of the Williams River district.

Rev. Father Bourke performed the service. The pall-bearers were Messrs. Gus., James and Gerard (sons), O. Twentyman (son-in-law), Tom and Clarrie Burg (nephews).

The late James Walsh was born on Brookfield estate 73 years ago, in fact the whole of the family was born in the old home there. He was a son of the late John and Alice Walsh. The former was born in County Clare and the latter in County Cavan (Ireland). They were amongst the very earliest pioneers of the locality.

Besides his widow there survive four sons, Augustine (Maitland), James (Sydney), Gerard and Clement (Brookfield), and four daughters, Miss Alma (at home), Mrs. Moore (Sydney), Sister Adrian (Lochinvar) and Mrs. Twentyman (Sydney). One son, Frank was killed in action whilst a daughter, Mrs. Whelan also predeceased him.

Messrs. Michael Patrick (Tamworth), John Patrick (Sydney) and Thomas Patrick (Brookfield) are brothers, and Mrs. T. Walsh (Black Head) and Miss Alice (Brookfield) are sisters. Two sisters, Mrs. Niball (Queens land) and Mrs. A. Burg (Maitland) predeceased him.

Deceased lived all his life in Brookfield and played a prominent part in the advancement of the whole district. He was one of the oldest exhibitors at Dungog Show and also won many prizes with corn at the Royal in Sydney. He was considered one of the best judges of corn in the district. The late Mr. Walsh was a director of the old Williams River Butter Factory. He took an active part in the Primary Producers’ Union and the Milk Suppliers’ Association. In the sporting sphere he was interested in cricket and football, in his early days as a player, later as an umpire and referee, and as a patron and keen supporter.

Racing was one of his favourite pastimes. It is doubtful if ever a race meeting was held in Dungog without him being present. In the earlier days he was a noted handicapper, and he also raced many good horses. Amongst these were Jennie, mother of Vesper and Cameo both of which he raced, also Goldfinch and others. The famous pony Seaweed also belonged to him. This great little mare only died on Thursday last at the age of 33 years. Seaweed was bred by the late William Potter. The late Mr. Walsh was a member of the committee of Dungog Racing Club.

For over 50 years deceased was secretary of the Catholic Church at Brookfield and he was a devout worker in all church movements. He was also a prominent Hibernian.

Deceased assisted with many movements on behalf of Dungog Hospital. His kindheartedness was a by-word and no better neighbour could be wished for. It was his practice to sow lucerne seed for most of the farmers in his district. He. was considered an expert at hand sowing.

The late Mr. Walsh also took a prominent part in politics and was well versed in the many vexed questions of the day.

The late Mr. Walsh had no enemies and the large and representative funeral was an indication of the respect and esteem in which he was held by his fellow men.

Deepest sympathy is extended to his widow, family and relatives in their sad loss.

The coroner’s report was published on Fri 23 Sep 1932:

The late James Walsh.

The Coroner, W. H. Green, Esq., J.P., held an inquiry on Wednesday, into the death of the late James Walsh.

Dr. J. J.. Gilchrist deposed that in response to a telephone message about 10.15 a.m. on 19th inst., he went to the home of Mr. James Walsh, Brookfield. There he saw the body of Mr. Walsh lying in the front room. He had apparently died about a quarter of an hour before. There was a small cut on his nose and on his lip. There were no other marks of violence. In his opinion the cause of death was shock following on an accident. His neck was not broken, there were no injuries to his skull. Blood had come from his nose. There was no blood from his ears or mouth. He knew his age was 73 years. He would attribute the headache he complained of to shock and a blow on the nose. He had treated him previously for heart trouble.

Constable Houlahan gave evidence as to seeing the body of James Walsh on a bed at his home, but did not examine it. In company with Constable Bates of Clarence Town he later saw a sulky in Walsh’s paddock. The rear splash wing was broken off, the point broken off the off-side splash board. There was a broken breeching strap still attached to the near-side shaft of sulky. On off-side of the road leading down hill he saw marks made by a wheel of the sulky leading up to a two rail panel of fence. On the fence were marks where something had struck it with considerable force and also marks on the ground which could have been made by a sulky overturning. The offside axle of the sulky was bent. On the grass about eight yards from the post he saw a quantity of blood. There were marks on the ground where something had been dragged along. There was plenty of room for an ordinary vehicle to go through without hitting anything.

Constable Bates, of Clarence Town, deposed that in answer to a telephone message he went to the home oi James Walsh and there identified the body of deceased. He noticed a cut on the nose also on the lip. The features were much discoloured, the neck being more discoloured than the face. He did not examine the body, but based his opinion that deceased had died from heart failure as result of the accident, in view of his age. He also corroborated the evidence of Constable Houlahan regarding the scene of the accident.

Douglas Clark, a farm hand in the employ of deceased, gave evidence as to going to the farm with Mr. Walsh. At the top of the hill he got out to wait for Gerard Walsh, who had the mowing machine, and Mr. Walsh drove on. He related the accident, saw deceased thrown out of the sulky, and went to his aid.

Clement and Gerard Walsh, sons of deceased, gave evidence as to going to their father’s aid, bringing him home, and his ultimate passing away shortly afterwards.

The Coroner’s finding was that James Walsh died on 19th September, 1932 from heart failure following a sulky accident on his farm, at Brookfield, New South Wales.

Mary survived another 16 years and passed away on 16 Jul 1948; her death was reported on Sat 17 Jul 1948:


Death occurred on Friday of Mrs. Mary Maude Walsh, relict of the late James Walsh, of Brookfield. Deceased was 88 years of age and was born at Mount Rivers, in the Paterson River district. Surviving are sons Gus (Maitland), James (Sydney), Gerard (Brookfield) and Clem (Gloucester), and daughters, Sister Adrian (St. Joseph’s Convent, Wingen), Mrs. Moore (at home), and Mrs. Twentyman (Sydney). Three members of the flamily predeceased her, Miss Alma, Frank (killed on Gallipoli), and Mrs. Ellen Whelan (Randwick). The funeral will leave Brookfield Church this (Saturday) afternoon at 3 p.m., and the interment will take place in the Catholic cemetery at Dungog. Deepest sympathy is extended to the bereaved. Fuller reference will be made in a later issue.

The “later issue” appeared on Sat 24 Jul 1948:


The funeral of the late Mrs. Walsh, the oldest resident of Brookfield, being 88 years, left the Catholic Church there on Saturday last for the cemetery at Dungog. It was a very large and representative one, bearing testimony of the high esteem in which she was held. Visitors came from Sydney, Wingen, Newcastle, Coolongolook, Kempsey, Gloucester, Muswellbrook, Gresford, Hilldale, Singleton, Maitland, Morpeth, and the surrounding district.

The Rev. Father Bourke performed the service, and pallbearer were sons Gus, James, and Gerard and Doug. Clarke.

The late Mrs .Walsh, nee McNamara, was the last member of that family, who were among the first people to settle on the Paterson River 108 years ago. She taught school at Mount River and Welshman’s Creek prior to her marriage to James Walsh, of Brookfield. She was noted for her ideal Christian life and charity, and the hospitality of her home was extended over the long years to a wide circle of friends. After rearing a large family herself, she reared her deceased daughter’s family also another relative’s child.

She was invalided for many years prior to her death and bore her sufferings with outstanding patience.

She was the first to introduce membership of the “Homeless Child,” proceeds being forwarded annually to Fr. Fitzpatrick, New York.

Mary and James lived in Brookfield, NSW, and their ten children were all born there.

James & Mary’s family:

01. Alma Mary (b. 1891 record 12534, d. 09 Feb 1943)

02. Francis James (b. 1892 record 12810, d. 06 May 1918)

03. Augustine (b. 1893 record 13068, d. 1962 in Maitland)

04. Ellen Monica (b. 1895 record 22036, d. 01 May 1927)

05. Mary Martina (b. 1897 record 11930, d. 25 Sep 1969)

06. James (b. 1898 record 11806, d. ?)

07. Annie C (b. 25 Dec 1889 record 2991, d. 19 Sep 1994)

08. Patricia (b. 1901 record 12389, d. ?)

09. Gerard Joseph (b. 1903 record 20737, d. 08 Apr 1982)

10. Clement John (b. 1905 record 3093, d. 27 Nov 1962 in Gloucester)

01. Alma Mary Walsh did not marry, remaining at home and caring for her parents. From The Wingham Chronicle and Manning River Observer, Fri 19 Feb 1943:

Miss A. M. Walsh.

Miss Alma Mary Walsh, who passed away recently, was a native of Brookfield where she was born 52 years ago. She was a daughter of Mrs. and the late James Walsh. All her life was spent at home, with devoted attention to her parents. Miss Walsh was a prominent worker in all functions in the centre. She was a great worker for her Church, and was a member of the Children of Mary Sodality. Surviving brothers are Messrs. Augustine, James, Gerard and Clement. Francis was killed in action in the Great War. Her sisters are May (Mrs. P. Moore, of Woodstock), May (Mrs. Twentyman, of Kensington), and Sister Mary Adrian (of St. Joseph’s Convent, Lochinvar). Another sister, Ellen (Mrs. Whelan) predeceased her. The funeral took place on Thursday of last week. Father Bourke celebrated Mass in Brookfield Church, and afterwards lead the burial service at the Dungog cemetery. The pall-bearers were brothers Jim, Gus and Gerard, Douglas Clarke. Many friends from distant parts were present to pay their last respects. Amongst them were Messrs. T. Lantry (Morpeth), T. and C. Burg (Maitland), and Alan D’Argeval (Barrington). Many wreaths from relatives, friends and public bodies were laid on the grave.— ‘Dungog Chronicle.’

The electoral rolls from 1930 to 1943 list Alma as a storekeeper in Brookfield.

02. Francis James Walsh became a teacher, but on 13 Jun 1916 he enlisted at Narrabri, NSW, and was accepted into the 4/34th Australian Infantry Battalion (service number – 2419); his enlistement was reported on Fri 9 Jun 1916:

School Teachers Enlisted

Mr Frank Walsh, son of Mr James Walsh, of Brookfield, who has been school teaching at Myall Creek, near Inverell, has enlisted. He expects to go into camp at Rutherford on Tuesday…

Frank was wounded in action in France on 20 May 1916 and spent some time recuperating in England. He rejoined his unit on 13 Oct 1917 but was killed in action in May 1918 at Villers-Bretonneux. His full service record can be viewed here. His death was reported by the paper on Tue 21 May 1917:

Killed in Action.

Mr and Mrs James Walsh, of Brookfield, have received the sad news that their son, Frank, was killed in action on May 8th, in France. It will be remembered that he left these shores over 18 months ago, with many others from this locality, two of whom, Hubert Dark and Kelly Davies, have returned, whilst Cecil Hancock is now on his way out. Pte Walsh was wounded once and returned again to the firing line, where he was fighting for some considerable time. Prior to enlisting, Frank was in the service of the Education Department, where he was getting on exceedingly well. He had a bright future before him, and threw aside excellent opportunities to join the army. He was an all-round sportsman and a popular young man, and in his loss the country has suffered. To his parents and relatives we offer our deepest sympathy.

03. Augustine Walsh married Olive Dobson at Kurri Kurri in 1925 (record 3692). In the 1930 electoral rolls Augustine was listed in Lawes St, East Maitland, a railway singalman; this was the job he did throughout. In 1934 the couple were at 6 Linderman St, East Maitland. Augustine (but not Olive) was still registered at that address in the 1958 rolls. Augustine passed away in 1962.

04. Ellen Monica Walsh married John P. Whelan in Brookfield in 1919 (record 8928). We know little about this family, apart from Ellen’s untimely death aged 32. From the edition on Tue 03 May 1927:


The sad death occurred on Sunday, at the home of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. James Walsh, of Brookfield, of Mrs. Ellen Monica Whelan. Deceased was only 32 years or age, and is survived by a sorrowing husband and four children. During the last twelve months, Mrs. Whelan had been in indifferent health, and her death was not unexpected. Mr. and Mrs. Whelan had been living in Sydney for about eight years, and of late resided at Randwick. Her untimely passing was a great blow to all. The funeral took place on Monday, the body being taken from tho Catholic Church at Brookfleld at 1 p.m., and thence to Dungog Cemetery. Rev. Father Bourke read the last prayers. Mr. J. S. Boots had charge of the funeral arrangements.

Deepest sympathy is extended to the bereaved husband, parents and family.

05. Mary Martina Walsh married Frederick William Moore (known as Fred) at Canterbury in Sydney in 1929 (record 5514).

In the 1949 electoral rolls Mary Martina Moore is listed as living in Brookfield, which is consistent with her mother’s obituary in which Mary is described as Mrs Moore (at home). Soon after their wedding, in 1930, the couple lived at Nellieville, Lakemba St, Lakemba, and Fred was described as a railway worker. Between 1933 and 1937 they appear at 29 Moore St Campsie. In early 1939 the family moved to Woodstock, near Cowra. Fred was put in charge of shunting, and sadly died in a freak accident, as described in several reports.

The Daily Telegraph, Tue 06 Feb 1940:


COWRA, Monday.— Frederick William Moore, a shunter, had a leg severed in the railway yards this morning. He died later In hospital. It is believed that Moore fell under the wheels while uncoupling two trucks. He was a married man with three children.

The Young Chronicle, Fri 09 Feb 1940:

Railway Fatality At Cowra

When Frederick William Moore, 38, a railway employee, fell under a slowly moving engine in the Cowra railway yard, his right leg was completely severed, and, though he was rushed to the District Hospital, he died some hours later.

Moore had been stationed at Cowra for about 12 months. His home was at Woodstock. He leaves a wife and three young children.

At the time of the accident Moore was in charge of shunting operations. He gave the signal to back the trucks up, and then went between the leading truck and the engine to uncouple them. The coupling was evidently tight and Moore was unable to make the disconnection. When he went to step out onto the side of the track, his right foot became caught in the converging points.

The guard-iron of the tender caught Moore on the upper part of the leg and pulled his body along, while the foot became jammed tighter in the points. The rear wheel of the engine tender passed over his right leg, near the hip, completely severing it from the body.

The driver of the shunting engine, Mr. Jack Danield, who was watching from the side of the cab, saw Moore fall from between the engine and the truck. He jammed his brakes on, and brought the train to a stop within four yards. The iron guard of the tender had to be removed before Moore’s body could be extricated.

The Dungog Chronicle : Durham and Gloucester Advertiser added this to their report on Fri 23 Feb 1940:

… The late Mr. Moore had been at Cowra only a little over 12 months, having changed from a guard at Sydney to go there. His remains were taken to the Catholic Church at Woodstock, from whence the funeral moved for Woodstock cemetery for interment beside his late father and mother. Fellow employees of the railways acted as pall-bearers, and it was a large and representative funeral.

Mary died in Hamilton, Newcastle, on 25 Sep 1969 and is burried at Dungog.

06. James Walsh. We know nothing about James and would appreciate any information.

07. Annie C Walsh is the name of the seventh child in the online register of NSW births. She became a Nun in 1920 with the Sisters of St Joseph Lochinvar. There is a webpage dedicated to her on the Sisters’ website, and we quote that page in full below. It appears that her full name was Anne Angela Walsh. The webpage also suggests there were twelve children in the family, however her father’s obituary lists only 10 children, as does a statement her brother Gerard made at a Golden Jubilee celebration of the Brookfield Convent. (Mr. Gerard Walsh said all ten of his family were educated at Brookfield, also ten of the Tom Walsh’s. Report on Sat 26 Nov 1949):

Sister AdrianDied 19 September 1994

Sr Adrian, Anne Angela Walsh, was born on Christmas Day in 1899, the seventh in a family of twelve children born to James Walsh and Mary McNamara of Brookfield. Her early schooling was at Brookfield Convent School, and later as a boarder at Lochinvar. School days over she worked in the pharmaceutical department of Grace Brothers in Sydney for a time.

Anne Angela Walsh became Sr. Mary Adrian of the Love of St. Joseph on the 23rd of January, 1920 when she entered the novitiate of the Sisters of St. Joseph. She made her First Profession on the 5th of July, 1922, and shortly afterwards began her teaching apostolate at Denman as music teacher. In the ensuing years she was to work in most of the schools founded by the Sisters of St. Joseph in the Maitland and Lismore Dioceses. She worked both in upper primary classes and as music teacher, very often in the dual role. Teaching both school and music was an arduous task, especially when, as in Sr. Adrian’s case she filled the role of principal as well. Music lessons before and after school, and a full day of classes made for a long demanding day from which Sr. Adrian never shrank, and of which she never complained and this often in a school church.

In 1968 Sister resigned from the school work and devoted herself to teaching music alone.  In 1976 she came to Lochinvar in semi retirement but still taught music to a small group, of students. In 1984, when the Primary School moved across the highway Sr. Adrian eventually called a halt to an active apostolate of over sixty years devoted to educating the youth of Australia.

As a teacher of both school and music Sister was encouraging to her students, enthusiastic and efficient, traits which her pupils were able to recognize, appreciate and remember. Remember they did, and often sent messages of appreciation for the inspiration she gave them.  A retired gentleman in Maitland asked if Sr Adrian was still alive. “She taught me in 1929,” he said. Then adding:-“They were great days!”

Sister Adrian was a woman of deep faith with a wholehearted belief in the goodness and providence of God.  She recited many Rosaries and made frequent visits to the chapel each day, and often made the Stations of the Cross several times a day, “Going round the Stations is good exercise,” she remarked once with a twinkle in her eye.

She was a decisive person who was able to ‘let go’ and move on in new directions and face new challenges in her life without regrets for what had or had not been.  She never forgot to say “Thank you” no matter what length of time elapsed since the service was rendered.  This was especially notable in her later years.

Sr Adrian died peacefully in St Joseph’s Nursing Home Lochinvar on the 19 September 1994 and is buried in the Sisters’ Cemetery at Lochinvar.

08. Patricia Walsh married Osmond Thomas Twentyman in Maroubra in 1925 (record 15077). The Catholic Press carried a report of their wedding on Thu 11 Nov 1926:


Twentyman — Walsh.

Lilies and shasta daisies made effective decorations in St. Aidan’s Church, Maroubra, recently, for the wedding of Patricia, youngest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. James Walsh, of Brookfield, to Mr. Osmond Twentyman, of Galway, Ireland. The Rev. Father Hollands solemnised the marriage. Mrs. Whelan (sister of the bride) presided at the organ. Escorted to the altar by her father, the bride looked picturesque in a charming frock of cream georgette, mounted on silver lame, with godets of silver lace, designed with a train of rucked georgette, lined with shell pink georgette. A chinstrap of pearls and wreath of orange blossoms held her hand-embroidered veil in position. Misses Alma and Mary Walsh attended their sister. They wore frocks of delphinium blue, and champagne embossed georgette, relieved in each case with cyclamen, and their hats to match had chinstraps of cyclamen velvet. Little Joan Whelan and Lorna Scott acted as trainbearers, and Molly Whelan as flower girl. They were frocked in mauve, powder blue and shell pink georgette, respectively, and wore peaked tulle caps and veils of the same shades as their frocks. Mr. William Twentyman was best man, and Mr. W. Arthur groomsman. The reception was held at the Cafe Chantieler; Mrs. Walsh received the guests. When leaving for her honeymoon tour to the Mountains, the bride wore an ensemble suit of bois de rose silk repp., with a morocain coat in darker tone, and white fur choker

Osmond had arrived in Sydney from the UK in July 1921 on board the Beltana. He was described as a clerk, aged 23 (so born c. 1898), his last address being 19 Edward St, Brighton. It appears that Osmond had served with the Royal Berkshire Regiment, Royal Army Medical Corps, and had been decorated (see item 2758 and 42028).

In the 1930 electoral rolls the couple’s address was 46 Middle St, Randwick; Osmond was described as a cellarman and remained so until 1968. In the early 1930s they moved to Kensington. In 1933 and 1934 their address was shown as 143 Anzac Pde. In 1936 and 1937 they were at 29 Elsmere Rd. Finally in 1968 their address was 10 Duke St.

A report on Wed 13 May 1953 suggested the couple were badly injured when knocked down by a car:

Three people who were knocked down by a car in Addison Road, Sydney, two weeks ago were fortunate to have escaped death. The accident occurred about 6 p.m. in drizzling rain. The victims were Mr and Mrs. Aussie Twentyman and a friend. Mrs. Twentyiman is a sister of Mr. Gerard Walsh, of Brookfield. She is the most seriously injured, suffering from concussion, a broken arm, fractured hip and pelvis. Mr. Twentyman suffered a fractured leg. Both are patients in St. Vincent’s Hospital. Their friend escaped without injury.

Osmond died in 1975 (record 5584).

09. Gerard Joseph Walsh lived in Brookfield and was a wool, hide and skin dealer (see the report of a court case below). His NSW online birth record 20737/1903 has him listed as Gerard A J Walsh. Newspapers carried many of his advertisements, such as this, from Fri 30 May 1941:


In our advertising columns Mr. Gerard Walsh, of Brookfield, announces that he is buying rabbit skins in the districts of Marshdale, Glen Martin, Clarence Town, Wallarobba, Hilldale, and Martin’s Creek on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Mr. Walsh states that he has bought £750 worth of skins in this district in the past two weeks.

He was the Honorary Secretary for the Brookfield Race Club and, in the early years, was a jockey himself; from a report on Tue 02 May 1939:


A figure that was missed from the saddle at Saturday’s meeting was that of Gerard Walsh, well-known as a rider at northern tracks. Gerard spent a few days in hospital as a result of an accident at Taree some months ago, and shortly afterwards, at a meeting at Dungog, suffered a dislocated elbow when thrown from a tractious horse which veered suddenly from the track and jumped a fence. He has retired from the riding game and will be a spectator at future meetings…

Gerard immersed himself in many of the districts events. One such event involving him and his brother Clem was described on Tue 05 Dec 1939:


On Sunday afternoon, Messrs. Clem and Gerard Walsh entertained a small party on the Williams River, when the mullet were nibbling fairly freely on the pollard bait. Five nice fish were hooked, a rep. from the ‘Chronicle’ landing a nice one of 3lb. weight.

A car from Maitland Ambulance Brigade was on the ground, under Superintendent J. B. Hicks, who was accompanied by Officers John Bruce and M. A. Seiffer. No casualties required attention, however.

He won ballroom dancing contest, euchre contests, and was even involved in a singing contest; in a report of Fri 24 Mar 1944 Gerard is actually described as the Brookfield song bird:


Great interest is centred in the Thumbs Up Revue which will be staged in James Theatre this (Thursday) night. Of course, the singing contest between the three ‘Ugly Men’ candidates will be a star turn. But great excitement prevails over the challenge contest between Mr. Gerard Walsh, the Brookfield song bird, and Mr, Bert Peakall, who won the Amateur Hour competition in Dungog. Both are in good voice. Beautiful ballets, skits and sketches, songs and dancing, will be on the bumper programme. Do not miss it. Door open at 7 p.m. To avoid disappointment go early.

Gerard married Martha Foster at West Maitland in 1945 (record 12267). Martha was born in 1899 (record 21962) to James Foster & Hannah Simpson. Gerard & Martha had at least one daughter, Berenice; from the report on Wed 07 Nov 1951:

Berenice, 5-year-old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Gerard Walsh, of Brookfield, was admitted to Dungog Cottage Hospital on Saturday, where she underwent an operation for appendicitis.

According to the 1977 electoral rolls the couple were still farming in Brookfield, but in 1980 they are listed at 28 Tyrell St, Gladesville. Gerard died on 08 Apr 1982 (record 8415) and is buried in the Macquarie Park Cemetery.

10. Clement John Walsh, known as Clem, was listed as a farmer at Brookfield in the electoral rolls from 1930 to 1958 and also had a license to trade as a wool, hide and skin dealer. In fact, according to a report of a breakin, he ran a store in Brookfield. He also lived for at least 10 years in Gloucester, NSW (see final report below).

We are unsure whether he ever married: there is a marriage of a Clement John Walsh to Maria Concepta Schneider in 1943 (record 4912). Maria is listed at Sunnyside, Krambah (probably Krambach) in the 1937 electoral rolls. However we cannot be certain this is the same person.

Clem ran foul of the law from time to time.

The Manning River Times and Advocate for the Northern Coast Districts of New South Wales carried this on Sat 29 Aug 1936:


Clement John Walsh was charged with that, being the holder of a pistol license, he did not take reasonable precautions to ensure its safe keeping, between 23rd and 24th July, at Wingham.

Defendant pleaded not guilty.

First-class Constable Sewell deposed: On the mornlng of the 24th. of July last, Clement John Walsh reported to me that some person had stolen his automatic pistol from the pocket of his motor lorry on the night of the 23rd July. Defendant informed me that he went into the Memorial Town Hall at Wingham, where a dance was being held. The reason why he put the pistol in the pocket of the lorry was on account of not wishing to take it into the Hall.

Clement John Walsh deposed: I live at Brookfleld, near Dungog. I am the holder of a pistol license for an automatic Browning 25-cal. pistol. I had the pistol in my possession on the night of the 24th. of July last. I arrived at the Memorial Town Hall, Wingham, to attend a dance that night, and the pistol was then in my possesion. When going into the dance hall I felt the pistol in my pocket. Not wanting to take it into the dance, I walked back to my lorry, opened the door, and put the pistol in the pocket of the lorry. I then locked the door of the lorry – but one window was broken in the lorry. After coming back from the dance, I felt in the pocket of the lorry, but the revolver was gone. I reported the matter to Constable Sewell. I felt that the lorry was a safe place to keep the pistol.

To the P.M.: I am a wool, hide and skin dealer. I carry a lot of money about with me at times.

To Constable Sewell: When I applied for the pistol license at Dungog, I was not given a list of instructions to comply with.

This was the case.

The P.M. said he did not consider that Walsh had taken reasonable precaution for the safe-keeping of the pistol. For that reason, he would inflict a penalty that should serve as a caution to Walsh, and also to all others who hold pistol licenses. He would be fined £5, with 8s costs of Court, in default eleven days’ imprisonment, with hard labor.

The fine was paid.

Then we have this, from The Gloucester Advocate on Fri 12 Nov 1943:

Gloucester Police Court
(MR. E. R. HARVEY, P.M.)

Clement John Walsh was before the Court, on Tuesday last, charged with stealing 4 motor tyres, tubes, and rims, valued at £12, the property of Percy Henry Albert Harris.

Mr. Max Borthwick handled the case for Walsh, and Detective Constable Woodward, of West Maitland, prosecuted.

Detective Woodward, in evidence, said: On 11th October, about 4.40 p.m., with Sergeant Laurence, he interviewed defendant. I said to him, do you remember Constable Lawler seeing you some weeks ago in regard to a motor rim you sold to a man named Murray? Defendant said, gave not sold. I said it does not matter much whether you gave or sold it. Do you remember, giving the Constable a [statement] to effect that you obtained that rim from your mother’s at Brookfield? Defendant said, not off the car but out of a shed there. I showed a statement to Walsh and asked if the signature on it was his. Defendant said, yes. Defendant read the statement and said, it’s not right, I got the rim out of a shed. I said to him, can you explain why Constable Lawler would state from the car, if you said you got it out of a shed. Defendant said, I don’t know that. Defendant said he did not remember if he read the statement through before signing it. I said, since you made that statement that rim has been identified as having been stolen, together with three other rims, tyres and tubes, from a car, which was left a few miles out of Gloucester. We also made inquiries which lead us to believe that you never brought any tyres or rims from your mother’s place. If that statement is not correct it is not too late now to alter it. Defendant said: I don’t want to alter it. That’s where I got the rim from. I said: Mr. Harris, who lost these tyres, positively identifies the rim as one which was stolen from his car and if you maintain you brought it from your mother’s place I will have no option but to charge you with stealing. Defendant said: You’ll have to charge me then; that’s where I got it. If Harris says it’s his he’ll have to prove it. I never saw the man who knew one rim from another. I said: Harris knows this rim because of a hole that was worn in it by one of the clips not being tightened. Defendant said that’s not the first rim I’ve seen with a hole in it. In reply to the Detective Defendant said he did not know whether his brother or anyone else saw him take the rim. He saw it there and thought he might use it. Defendant admitted the rim would not fit his truck, and said that he told Murray, when he asked him about a rim, that he could take it and if of any use to him give him 10/- for it.

To Mr. Borthwick: I told defendant I would charge him with stealing one rim and forthwith charged him with stealing four. I don’t know the extent of defendant’s activities in dealing in motor parts. I know an inquiry was made by a police officer into dealing over a tyre. I can’t say if Walsh was cleared in the matter. It may be possible for other rims to wear as this one did. If it did there would be a reason for it. I think it unreasonable to think that defendant would bring a rim from Brookfield and then give it away. If fit for sale it would be a different matter. I do not attach any importance to calling Constable Lawler as a witness. If the Court thinks he should be called I can arrange for it. No specific date can be given when the tyres were stolen. Defendant did not hesitate in stating he got the rim from his mother’s garage and did not deviate from the statement to that effect.

Percy Henry Albert Harris, a railway fettler living at Lidcombe, said in evidence he left the car at Ridgeway’s in March, 1942. On 23rd June this year he got a letter from Mr. Ridgeway and came to Gloucester. He found 4 rims, tyres and tubes had been taken from his car. He informed the police. At a later date the Gloucester police wrote him and he came back to Gloucester. He was asked if he could identify any of the stolen property and, if so, how. He said he could, one rim, by a hole in it. He was shown the rim and said it was his because of the hole in it and the painting on it. Shown the rim in Court, witness said: That’s the rim and I don’t think you’d find another in a million with a hole in it like it has. I filed it with a flat file to smooth the edges after the clip wore the hole in it. Witness produced the clip that, he said, made the hole in the rim.

To Mr. Borthwick, witness said he had had the car 8 years and always had trouble with one clip. He thought it would be impossible for similar trouble to occur in other rims.

Alan George Ridgeway said the car was left in a shed on his father’s property about March last year. On 20th June he saw the car and found four tyres had been stolen from it. The police were informed.

Oscar Athol Prince Murray, dairyman, of Bucca Wauka, said he spoke to Walsh about a rim on 2nd September. He was shown one with a hole in it and questioned if it would be any good. Walsh said he thought it could be fixed and that witness could take it. He was to pay 10/ if the rim was of any use to him. Witness left the rim at Campbell’s to be fixed.

Douglas Joseph Clark, farm-hand, employed by Mrs. Walsh, at Brookfield, said there was an. Essex car in a garage at Brookfield. It was not being used at present. It had four wheels and tyres on it and a spare. Defendant visited his mother’s place fairly often. He had been there about four times the last six months. There were some old tyres and rims in the shed where the Essex car was kept. Witness was with Constable Stanger when he looked into the shed. He thought he might be buying the Essex as he seemed interested, in it. Clem Walsh had been at the place and taken rims away. He saw him take one rim but could not remember just when it was.

To Mr. Borthwick, witness said he knew Clem Walsh dealt in different things. He thought he sold an old Dodge and an old Ford. He assisted defendant to take the wheels off an old car and they were taken to Gloucester.

To the Bench, witness said he could not say what type of car the rim defendant took away was off, nor how long it had been there.

The P.M. said he would like to call Constable Lawler, but that officer was in Sydney.

Mr. Borthwick submitted a case had not been established against his client, but the P.M. said that witness Harris had identified the rim in Court and he would alter the charge in regard to ownership of the property to the name of May Johanna Harris, wife of Mr. Harris, as it had been stated she owned the car.

Walsh elected to be summarily dealt with and pleaded not guilty.

In his evidence Clement John Walsh said the rim was got by him about six months’ ago from his mother’s place at Brookfield. He would not swear the rim before the Court was the one but it was identical with the rim he brought up and which he gave to Murray. He had been buying and selling old cars and second hand material. He had rims at home and at Brookfield similar to the rim in Court. The rim he brought up he got from the Essex car shed and not from the Essex car. He did not say it was off the Essex car. The shed where the Essex car was was always referred to as the Essex garage or car shed. He had not been on Ridgeway’s property this year, to his knowledge. He had had rims worn similarly to the one in Court by other cars. He had three with holes in on cars he had bought. He denied absolutely having anything to do with the rims from Harris’s car. Such a hole in a rim might not be worn by a clip and once there would be liable to blow the tyre, even after filing. Witness said it would be hard for him to identify any rims, he bought or sold the last 12 months. He could not identify the rim off his own truck if mixed up with a dozen others. He suggested the hole was worn in the rim because the rim was buckled. He regarded the rims at Brookfield as his property because he bought them.

Gerard Joseph Walsh, wool, hide and skin dealer, of Brookfield, said his brother, Clem, made frequent visits to Brookfield and took motor parts away. In the shed where the Essex car was kept there were rims and other motor parts. The shed was always referred to as the Essex shed. The rim in Court was similar to rims at Brookfield but he could not swear to it. He had seen holes in rims worn by clips but had not experienced it personally.

Witness was cross-examined at length by Detective Woodward.

The Magistrate said the evidence did not satisfy him that defendant stole the goods and the charge, therefore, was dismissed.

On Tue 08 Aug 1944 we read about a near miss:


Six men had lucky escapes from serious hurt when a lorry, owned and driven by Mr. Clem Walsh, of Gloucester, crashed over the big cutting three miles north of Krambach at about 5.20 on Thursday afternoon. Mr. Walsh was returning from Wingham to Krambach and was coasting down the hill when he applied his brakes. These failed to respond and the lorry gained tremendous speed. The driver attempting to put the vehicle into gear, failed, and the lorry went over the side at a bend. Occupants of the vehicle were Messrs. Jack McCudden (Krambach), Martin (Burrell Creek), George Berry, Bill Latimore and Bill Reichert. As far as we can ascertain, no one was seriously injured, although Messrs. Walsh, McCudden and Martin were held for a time in the M.R.D. Hospital, Taree, for observation. They were conveyed to that centre by the Taree Ambulance, which was quickly on the scene of the accident. Mr. Walsh is a brother of Mr. Gerard Walsh, of Dungog. Mr. Fred Jones and Mr. Cliff Jones, of Dungog, both came along shortly after the accident and rendered assistance.

A more serious accident was alluded to in the next report in The Gloucester Advocate on Fri 12 Jul 1946:

C. J. Walsh Convicted on Traffic Offence.

Clement John Walsh, skin buyer, of Gloucester, was convicted in the Gloucester Court of Petty Sessions on Tuesday, before Mr. J. Byrne, P.M., on a charge of driving a motor vehicle whilst under the in fluence of intoxicating liquor in Queen Street, Gloucester, on 11th June. He was fined £3 with 4/ court costs and £12/1/9 witness’ expenses, in default 31 days’ hard labour. He was allowed 21 days to pay.

The conviction automatically suspends defendant’s driving licence for 12 months.

The hearing of a second charge against him of driving a motor vehicle in a manner dangerous to the public was adjourned to the next Court of Petty Sessions on 13th August. A charge of driving a motor vehicle with defective brakes was withdrawn by the police.

The P.M. said he was quite satisfied that defendant had been driving under the influence. He said he did not think section 556a contemplated this type of offence. Although there were no serious consequences in this instance, the P.M. said, the death rate from motor accidents had reached alarming proportions and fifty per cent resulted from driving under the influence of intoxicating liquor.

Appealing for leniency, Mr. S. C. Tapperell, of Hornsby, who appeared for Walsh, said that the position of defendant was rather exceptional and if His Worship would treat his case as such defendant was prepared to give any undertaking the P.M. required of him. He was prepared to take out a prohibition order against himself and that was something for a man in business who had to associate with people.

Mr. Taperell told the P.M. that it would be very difficult for defendant to conduct any business without a truck of any kind. In the course of his business said Mr. Taperell, defendant had to make one trip to Krambach and Wingham a week and two to Maitland. Mr. Taperell also drew the attention of the P.M. to the fact that defendant gave freely and willingly to charity in the district.

Sgt. C. Laurence prosecuted for the police.

Constable L. Beuzeville, in evidence, said that at 5 p.m. on 11th June last he saw defendant outside the entrance to the Gloucester Hotel. He was under the influence of intoxicating liquor and his utility F0200 was standing on the northern side of Queen Street facing east. He said to defendant, ‘You are under the influence of intoxicating liquor, Clem, and you are not to drive your utility to-night.’ Defendant replied, ‘That’s all right, leave it to me.’ About 5.10 p.m., Constable Beuzeville continued, he was standing in Queen Street, near Barrington Street when he heard a noise, and on looking in the direction where defendant’s vehicle was parked saw it had gone back down hill and had collided with another motor car. He immediately went to the scene and as he approached saw defendant’s vehicle come forward for a distance of about 10 yards and then again go backwards and collide with the same car, hitting it in a similar position. He saw defendant at the steering wheel of the vehicle. There was no other person in the cabin of the utility. He then saw a man he knew to be William Reichert get into the driver’s side of the vehicle and drive it towards him. When he had gone about 15 yards he stopped him and he (Reichert) said to him in the presence and hearing of defendant, ‘I am just taking Clem home, Constable, he has had a few drinks.’ He told Reichert that he would deal with the matter now. Reichert got out of the utility and left. He then got into the truck and said to defendant, ‘What Happened, Clem?’ Defendant replied, ‘I could not get it going up the hill.’ Defendant’s breath smelt strongly of intoxicating liquor and his speech was thick. Defendant was taken to Gloucester Police Station where he said to him, ‘I had previously warned you not to drive your utility to-night as you were under the influence of intoxicating liquor.’ Defendant said, ‘I was not driving it.’ He said to defendant, ‘I saw you driving it. How many drinks have you had to-day?’ Defendant replied, ‘I refuse to answer any questions.’ The defendant then said to him, ‘If I am convicted do I lose my licence?’ He told him it was automatic. When he was charged defendant said he wanted a doctor, Constable Beuzeville went on. He immediately contacted Dr. Stanton-Cook, who visited the Police Station about 6 p.m., and made an examination of defendant. Witness said that on the same night he tested the brakes on the utility. He told defendant the next day that he had found that the hand brake was inefficient, but that the footbrake was quite all right. Sgt. Laurence: How did you convey defendant to the lock-up?

Witness: 1 walked him up. I had to hold him by the arms to balance him along the street as he was very drunk and very excited. He was unsteady on his legs.

Mr. Taperell: You know that he is naturally unsteady on his feet and has difficulty in walking at any time.

Witness: Not to fall backwards.

Mr. Taperell: You know that his speech is always thick, too?

Witness: I know that he is always drunk.

Mr. Taperell: Have you any personal interest in this case?

Witness: No.

Mr. Taperell: It is not true that you spoke to him before the incident?

Witness: Yes it is. He was on his own.

Mr. Taperell : When you saw him there was nothing that attracted you about him was there?

Witness: Only that he was drunk. I was only trying to assist him.

In reply to further cross examination witness said that Reichert had told him that defendant had asked him to say that he was driving the truck but Reichert said he would not do it. Witness told Reichert that he saw who was driving the truck and it was a matter for himself. He denied that he told Reichert that he would be prosecuted for perjury if he said that. Asked by Mr. Taperell why he returned the utility after testing the Drakes to Mr. Berry’s yard and not to defendant’s address witness said he would rather not say.

The question was withdrawn.

Witness said that when he saw defendant go to Mr. Deards’ place on Monday night (8 July) he said to him that he hoped he was not interfering with his witness.

Mr. Taperell: Are you always interested in your witnesses like that?

Witness: Yes, always.

In reply to another question about taking the keys out of the utility on 10th June witness said he also took the keys of two other cars on that night, which was Victory night, to prevent them being driven by drivers who were drunk.

Witness replied to further questioning that he knew defendant was injured on 6th June but he did not know what happened nor did he know that he was three hours under the truck but he did know that he sustained head injuries. He said that he was not in hospital for two days but he knew he was in hospital after that again because he visited him there. Witness said that the onus was on defendant under the motor traffic act to say who was driving the truck and he gave him the opportunity of saying that. That’s why he went to the hospital. He knew defendant was driving it because he saw him. He told defendant if he wanted to get a copy of the charges to go to the C.P.S.

Witness told the P.M. that Queen Street was extensively used by the public.


Dr. Peter Alan Stanton-Cook, medical practitioner, of Murwillumbah, said in evidence that on the 11th June last he was practising at Gloucester as locum tenens for Dr. Channon. About 6 pm. on that day he was called to the police station where he examined the defendant. At the time defendant was a little bit excited. His breath smelt of alcohol, his speech was slurred and the pupils of his eyes were dilated but acted sluggishly to light, his skin was warm and clammy. When requested to walk a straight line he walked it satisfactorily. That was all the examination he made. He had not been told what defendant was charged with. Witness said that he formed the opinion as a result of the examination that defendant was alcoholic at the time – and that would mean that he was under the influence of intoxicating liquor.

In reply to questions by Mr. Taperell for defendant, witness said that he had met defendant previously on 6th June when he saw him first at the surgery and treated him for head injuries arising out of a smash. The data given him was that defendant was three hours under a truck. He ordered him to hospital. He did not stay two days but left the following morning. He had advised him not to leave. He did not think at the time that he was sufficiently recovered to leave hospital.

Mr. Taperell: On 11th June it might be that defendant had not recovered from his head injuries?

Witness: Yes.

Witness said that defendant did not need assistance to walk the line, although he walked it with his stick. Defendant did say to him that he was not driving the truck.

After replying to questions by Sgt. Laurence as to defendant’s head injuries, Mr. Taperell asked witness: When you examined defendant at the police station on 11th June was his condition a case of being under a condition of delayed concussion or intoxicating liquor?
Witness: Intoxicating liquor.

Mr. Taperell: Assuming he complained of head pains on the morning of 11th June and sought medical treatment would that have effected your opinion?

Witness: Very little, but to some extent.


Giving evidence, Stanley Adolphus Deards, grocer’s assistant, of Gloucester, said that at approximately 4.50 p.m. on the 11th June he parked his car in Queen Street near Dr. Munro’s old residence, and 20 or 30 yards from the intersection. He noticed a utility truck 70 or 80 feet in front, facing east. He left his car and was absent for probably 8 or 9 minutes. When returning to his car he noticed the utility careering backwards as if it were out of control. He sang out, ‘Hold her.’ Being directly behind the truck he could not see whether there was a driver in it or not. There was no response to his call and the truck crashed into the front of his car. He looked in the truck and noticed defendant more or less lounging in the seat not directly behind the driving wheel. There was no one else in the truck with him. He said to defendant, ‘Drive up, Clem, you have crashed into my car.’ Defendant got on the wheel and drove approximately 4 to 5 yards. From his observation the engine stalled and the truck careered back a second time with the result that there was a second crash. William Reichert then got in to the truck and drove it off. He had gone about 70 or 80 feet when he noticed Constable Beuzeville stop the truck and have some conversation with the occupants. Constable Beuzeville then took defendant ‘up the hill.’ He noticed that defendant did not look well but did not see much of him.

Asked by Sgt. Laurence what he meant by ‘did not look well,’ witness said defendant did not seem as if he understood what he was actually doing.

Sgt. Laurence: What was your opinion of him – was he under the influence of liquor?

The question was objected to by Mr. Taperell but allowed by the P.M.

Witness: He appeared to be a very ill man or under the influence.

In reply to further questioning the witness said he could not swear he heard the engine of the truck running on the second crash. Defendant definitely drove the truck away from the car after the first smash. Witness said he knew defendant quite well and know that he gave freely to charity and helped charitable organisations.

P.M.: Did you notice anything about the defendant when he walked away with the constable?

Witness: Being crippled I noticed he had a limp as usual and walked with his stick. I was too interested in my car, looking at the damage, to notice what happened as regards Walsh.

Witness added, in evidence, that defendant sounded to him as if he had a cold. He spoke reasonably sensibly to him, said he was sorry it had happened and that it would be covered by insurance.


The defendant, Clement John Walsh, skin buyer, of Gloucester, said he had been in business in the Gloucester district for 15 years and had been a resident of Gloucester for 10 years. He had a very extensive business here – the biggest in Gloucester. He had two utility trucks. He said he sustained an injury on the 6th June when a truck overturned and pinned him underneath for three hours. He received head injuries and was driven to the doctor’s surgery and then to hospital. He was all right bar his head. He could not explain it really – it was that bad. He left hospital without authority as he had £1000 worth of skins in hand and had to look after them. Defendant said he was never himself from then on. On 17th June he consulted Dr. Channon about his head. During the day on the 11th June he did not know he was even going about. He took his truck from Grahame’s garage at 4.30 p.m. and drove straight up to the hotel. He went to have a drink. He parked his truck on the northern side of Queen Street facing east and 50ft from the corner. At the time there was another utility in front of him and two cars in front of that. There was nothing behind him. He had two or three drinks (middies) but it was very busy in the bar and it was hard to get drinks. He thought he had a drink with Reichert. Reichert said to him, ‘You don’t look too well, Clem, I think I had better take you home.’ Defendant said, ‘It’s no good fighting for a drink, we will go home.’ Reichert said he would drive him home. Defendant said he went out first. He walked over to his truck and entered by the driving door. His truck was in low gear. He was getting on the opposite side to let Reichert in, who was going to drive him, when he knocked the truck out of gear and it ran into Deards’ car. There was very little clearance between the gear handle and the seat. At the time his hand brake was defective. It had been defective for about four months due to the fact that he could not get cables. Defendant said he had a bad leg and he did not have enough time to get over the foot brake. He got out and Deards said to him, ‘What the b- hell have you done to my car.’ He said, ‘It’s bad luck, Stan, I will get it done up and pay. for it.’ Defendant said he had no re collection in the world of driving the truck away. He would not say whether he was ever back in the truck. Reichert told him he drove it away. The Constable spoke to him on the northern side of the street. He (defendant] was on foot Then. The constable said to him, ‘I think you are a bit drunk, Clem, I am going to take you up.’ He said, ‘O.K., Constable, you know what you are doing.’ Defendant said he did not want assistance to get to the police station. ‘ The constable was on the wrong side of him as he only used his stick in one hand, it was not true that he was falling backwards. When he got to the police station he was not informed what he was charged with. He did. not know until 12 minutes to 10 the next morning. He had at no time had his engine running as far as he could recollect. Defendant said he told the Constable that Reichert was driving. The constable said he would go back and get Reichert and left him. Defendant said he was still suffering to a certain extent with his head.

Asked by his solicitor if he claimed to be a man of good character defendant said, ‘I call myself before the court the best character in the State, and that’s saying a lot.’

In reply to Sgt. Laurence defendant said that he consulted Dr. Channon on 17th June after he had been to Sydney and after he had seen his solicitor, but he denied that it was on the advice of his solicitor that he saw the doctor.

Sgt. Laurence: When: did you regain all your faculties or senses after you had spoken to Deards?

Defendant: It’s possible I have not regained them yet.

Sgt. Laurence: Then all you have said in evidence is only guess work?

Defendant: No, some things I remember.

Sgt. Laurence: Do you know who bailed you out?

Defendant: Yes.

In reply to further questions as to conversations with the Constable defendant said that he asked the Constable next morning where his truck was and he told him it was up in Berry’s yard. He told the constable that he was going to report it lost or stolen.


William Reichert, dairy farmer, of Mograni Creek, gave evidence to the effect that on 11th June he was in the Gloucester Hotel having a drink when defendant joined him and he had one beer with him. The bar was crowded. Before he went out he told defendant that he did not look too good, and that he had better let him drive him home. Defendant agreed to this and went ahead of witness, who stopped on the way out to talk to a man, telling defendant he would pick him up later. As he walked out of the hotel, witness continued, he saw defendant’s truck about a foot off Deards’ car. As he called out it hit the car. He went across to the truck. The driving side door was open and he could see defendant in it, about half way across the seat. Mr. Deards asked him to take defendant home. He never saw defendant out of the truck at all. He got in the truck and drove it about 100 yards when the constable stopped him and had a conversation with him. As a result of the conversation he got out of the truck and left.

In reply to questions by Sgt. Laurence witness said that defendant did not look real well. He knew he had been concerned in an accident. ‘Witness said the defendant looked off-colour and different to what he usually did, when pressed to explain what he meant by saying he did not look real well.
Sgt. Laurence: You knew he had been drinking a lot lately?

The question was objected to by Mr. Taperell but allowed by the P.M.

Witness: I don’t know if he had been drinking much lately. I: just walked in and thought he was not looking real well.

Sgt. Laurence: Does he look all right to-day?

Witness: Yes, he looks all right to-day. He just did not look well that day. I don’t know whether he was pale or anything like that. I am not a medical student. He did not look the same as he usually did. I could not say whether it was anything to do with drink.

In reply to the P. M. witness said that when he met the constable defendant was alongside him in the truck. He only saw the truck come into contact with the car once.

Richard James Burley, garage proprietor, of Gloucester, gave evidence of having worked on the hand brake of defendant’s truck. He’ could not tell the condition of the brake at the moment, as he had not tested it recently. He was given an order by defendant for hand brake cable 10 or 11 months -ago, but he could not get cables. The last time he tried to get them was on the 25th June.

Please contact if you can assist in any way.

%d bloggers like this: